Dorset Spiced Apple Cake
225g cooking apples, peeled, chopped, but remember to slice some for the top
Juice of ½ lemon
225 grams plain flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
115 grams butter
165 grams dark brown sugar (use 50g of this for the topping)
2 eggs beaten
2–3 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F (gas mark 4).
- Grease and line a 7″, round cake tin.
- Toss the apple with the lemon juice and set aside. Sift the flour and baking powder together then rub in the butter, until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir sugar, the apple mix and the eggs, adding a little of the milk at a time to make a soft doughy mix.
- Transfer into your tin.
- In a bowl, mix soft brown sugar, one sliced apple and cinnamon and cloves, arrange on top of the cake mix.
- Bake for 45–50 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.